Shall I Stay or Shall I Go? How to Know When a Relationship has Run its Course
February 3, 2009 Leave a comment
We’ve all been at that FORK IN THE ROAD in a relationship; do I stay or do I go?
With Valentine’s Day around the corner intended to celebrate lasting love – a realist, more than anything, I wanted to see what’s on your minds because most of us know that while the love might continue, the roads of relationships often dead end.
On several networking sites I asked this 2-fold question: Is it to one’s advantage or disadvantage to believe that a relationship can “RUN ITS COURSE”? How do you know WHEN IT HAS?
Interestingly, most could not answer concisely. Here’s a sample of replies:
- “Sometimes you never know what the other person is thinking. Usually, you both know it’s “run its course”. Most romantic relationships do end but is it really ever OVER?”
- “…It depends on maturity level and lots of other things. Most things can be worked out but sometimes it is just impossible. There is a lot to be said for negotiation.”
- “If you are clear on the definition of “ITS COURSE” it is easier to determine if it has or has not completed its goal…emotions fade, bUT Original INTENDED DESTINATION rarely does.”
- “I don’t even comprehend the statement, Zara. Seriously. What does that REALLY mean?”
But there were those who had very succinct responses to when they believe a relationship has run its course:
“If you suspect its run its course, it already has.”
- “Most run their course. and it’s instinctive when you know it’s over, just like when you’re done with a TV show”
- “As soon as you THINK a relationship has run its course, it has…”
And then there was the follow up question: Most of you believe that THEY DO, but what are some indications that a RELATIONSHIP HAS RUN ITS COURSE?
Here are a few replies:
- “When you don’t care enough about the result of an argument/discussion to have the argument/discussion.”
- “I see women who stay and know good and well they need to go, and vice versa. It’s depressing Zara.”
Here are the kinds of responses I got the most:
- Great Question
- Awesome Discussion
- The question is surely the MILLION DOLLAR one! So good on you for even posing it to get us thinking.
Life is too short to keep trying to extend a road leading to nowhere, and so the discussion continues. Comment to this post and stay tuned for details of this topic on an upcoming Grown Is Sexy – Radio Show (link below).
We’re Growing UP y’all, because life is meant to be enjoyed!
NEXT Decision…BETTER than your LAST 😉